Thursday, February 14, 2013

How do you feel about Valentine's Day? #NaBloPoMo

Valentine's Day can be a little cliche. Of course, there is the chocolates and the jewelry and the romantic gestures. I love flowers, and that is what I got this year along with Pot of Gold candy (dark chocolate version!!) I also got a stuffed animal which I take as a great sign that a guy has a soft side. We didn't do a fancy dinner. We actually ate cheese sticks and vegetables. We have children and the hubs didn't even get home from work until around 5 so dinner was out of the question to go out. We also didn't think ahead and lock down a babysitter.

Valentine's is when young hearts show their affection and when older relationships reconfirm affection. I have really never understood why people in relationships celebrate Valentine's. Isn't that what your anniversary is supposed to celebrate? Maybe I am a little dense or maybe not a material girl, but I have never been super big on getting jewelry for Valentine's. Yes, the hubs did these gifts the first couple years, but then he realized that I was way more into the chocolates than I was anything else. I don't think there should be a specific day for you to show your affection for your significant other or someone that you have recently just started dating.

These romantic gestures should come without a prompt. If you want to give your wife or girlfriend something sparkly or great chocolates to indulge in, you should be able to do this any day of the year and get the same reaction. Many girls compete with whose gift was better from their significant other as whose boyfriend loves them more. How obnoxious. I know my hubs loves me. He could have shown up with a cookies and cream candy bar and a kiss and I would have been a happy girl.

Of course this is the night of the year that every guy also thinks that he is entitled to "get lucky". My hubs and his coworkers were actually joking about this at work. All the guys that he works with are either married or engaged and they were saying that this holiday has been turned into nothing more than guys giving girls presents in hopes of being rewarded. Bottom line, if you feel like your significant other deserves a gift or a little something special, you should not have to wait until a holiday commemorating love to give it to them. DO IT SPORADICALLY! Sometimes this means way more than a cliche "love" holiday.

No comments:

Post a Comment